Doctoral Programme in Informatics Engineering
I'm a PhD student at FEUP since September 2005.
My advisor is Cristina Ribeiro and my co-advisor is Gabriel David.
My Steering Committee includes Mark Sanderson and Mário J. Silva.
Information Retrieval on Time-Dependent Collections
Web Information Retrieval (WebIR) is the application of Information Retrieval concepts to the World Wide Web. The most successful approaches in this field have modeled the web's structure as a directed graph and explored this concept using different approaches. HITS and PageRank are two of the most well known algorithms within this line of research. Most of this research has origins in the area of citation analysis. Nevertheless, although time is an important dimension in the citation analysis literature, it hasn't been explored with depth within WebIR. Recent studies show that the web is a highly dynamic environment, with significant changes occurring weekly.
Baeza-Yates et al. (2004) draw an analogy between web crawling and the task of an astronomer watching the sky. What web search engines users see is not the current state of the web but an image of what the crawler captured at a specific time. Typically, the dynamic nature of the web is not incorporated in the task of ad-hoc web retrieval.
In the context of my PhD work, I intend to explore the impact of the time dimension on information retrieval in time dependent collections. I will use the web since time has a strong impact in this collection, both on the individual documents and on the interlinked structure.
- Term Frequency Dynamics in Collaborative Articles - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro, Gabriel David. 10th ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng2010). September 2010. Manchester, United Kingdom.
- FEUP at TREC 2009 Blog Track: Temporal Evidence in the Faceted Blog Distillation Task (PDF) - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro, Gabriel David. 18th Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2009). November 2009. Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA.
- Improving Web User Experience with Document Activity Sparklines - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro and Gabriel David. EPIA'2009 - 14th Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence. October 2009. Aveiro, Portugal.
- Sources of Temporal Web Evidence (PDF) - Sérgio Nunes. Informer, Nr. 30, pp. 7-8, ISSN 0950-4974. Information Retrieval Specialist Group, British Computer Society. Spring 2009.
- Using Temporal Evidence in Blog Search - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro and Gabriel David. ECIR'09 Workshop on Information Retrieval over Social Networks. April 2009. Toulouse, France.
- FEUP at TREC 2008 Blog Track: Using Temporal Evidence for Ranking and Feed Distillation (PDF) - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro, Gabriel David. 17th Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2008). November 2008. Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA.
- WikiChanges - Exposing Wikipedia Revision Activity - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro, Gabriel David. 4th International Symposium on Wikis (WikiSym 2008). September 2008. Porto, Portugal.
- Use of Temporal Expressions in Web Searches - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro and Gabriel David. 30th European Conference on Information Retrieval 2008 (ECIR'08). March 2008. Glasgow, Scotland.
- Using Neighbors to Date Web Documents - Sérgio Nunes, Cristina Ribeiro and Gabriel David. 9th annual ACM International Workshop on Web Information and Data Management 2007 (WIDM'07). November 2007. Lisbon, Portugal.
- Exploring Temporal Evidence in Web Information Retrieval. Sérgio Nunes. BCS IRSG Symposium: Future Directions in Information Access 2007. August 2007. Glasgow, Scotland.
- Information Retrieval on the Dynamic Web. Sérgio Nunes. Technical Report, FEUP. June 2006.
- State of the Art in Web Information Retrieval (PDF) - Sérgio Nunes. Technical Report, FEUP. June 2006.
Last Updated: November 2009.
© Sérgio Nunes