Calls for abstracts
Department of Civil Engineering at Faculty of Engineering University of Porto (FEUP) is pleased to invite any researcher or doctoral student, in Civil and Environmental Engineering fields, to submit an abstract within the scope of the following technical sessions:
- New Approaches on Risk and Uncertainty Analysis;
- Efficiency and Sustainability;
- Applied Physical and Numerical Modelling and Monitoring Techniques;
- ITs in Civil and Environmental Engineering
The symposium of “Civil and Environmental Engineering” will be held in the scope of Second Doctoral Congress Engineering (DCE) which will be hosted at FEUP, Porto, Portugal on 8th and 9th of June 2017.
This event is mainly focused on the participation of young researchers and doctoral students. DCE17 aims at exploring the latest progresses and developments worldwide made by young researchers and professionals.
The 2017 edition of this symposium intends to give a strong contribution on the increasing cooperation between the industry partners and the doctoral students. Technical sessions with presentations of scientifically innovative work will be combined with keynote sessions provided by senior members and relevant professionals from companies developing their activities in the Civil and Environmental Engineering sector.
The Doctoral Program in Civil Engineering and the Doctoral Program in Environmental Engineering will respectively support the costs of any student from PRODEC and PDEA (FEUP) who registers in DCE2017’s Symposium in Civil and Environmental Engineering (authors and participants). Please consult the Registrations webpage.
Chance of publication
After the event, accepted manuscripts will be published in the Proceedings Book of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Symposium. This publication include ISBN and DOI registration. Download the Book of Abstracts: BoACE
The best works presented at the Symposium will be published in a special issue of the UP Journal of Engineering.
The templates for publishing can be obtained here.
This symposium will count with the participation of invited speakers, both from industry and academic fields. Speakers to be announced soon.
Details of oral presentation sessions
Each presentation is to be presented within 15 minutes plus more 5 minutes for any questions and discussion. Presentations should be prepared by Power Point 4:3 format and speakers must copy their presentations onto the computer placed in the presenting room(s) before session(s) starts.
Each oral presentation requires the submission of an abstract and its respective full paper.
Session I (8th of June, 9h30-11h00) | Moderator to be defined
- Advanced fatigue life assessment and dynamic monitoring of steel railway bridges: Guilherme Alencar, José Guilherme S. Da Silva, Abílio de Jesus and Rui Calçada; #60
- Fatigue Assessment of a Composite Steel and Concrete High-Speed Railway Bridge by Finite Element Analysis: Gonçalo C. Ferreira; #128
- Damage identification in railway bridges based on dynamic performance indicators of the train-bridge system: Andreia Meixedo, Rui Calçada and Diogo Ribeiro; #200
- Advances on the use of non-destructive techniques for mechanical characterization of stone masonry: Rachel Martini, Jorge Carvalho, Antonio Arede and Humberto Varum; #112
- Seismic behaviour of infilled RC structures: Furtado, H. Rodrigues, A. Arêde, H. Varum.
Session II (8th of June, 11h30-13h00) | Moderator to be defined
- Mechanical damage under repeated loading of geosynthetics used in the base liner system of waste landfills: Ana Cláudia Brás, José Ricardo Carneiro and Maria De Lurdes Lopes; #52
- Functionalized Asphalt Mixtures: Photocatalytic, Superhydrophobic and Self-cleaning Properties: Iran Rocha Segundo, Cristiano Ferreira, Elisabete Freitas, Joaquim Carneiro, Filipa Fernandes and Salmon Landi; #116
- Clustering Analysis of Rural Traffic Accidents, Case study: Mohammad Sadegh Bahadori and Afshin Famili; #194
- Real Estate Appraisal Using Matricial Approach: Rui Camposinhos and Rosário Oliveira; #42
- Virtual Reality and Laser Scanning technologies for as-built building assessment: Fábio Dinis and Luís Sanhudo;
Round Table (8th of June, 14h30-16h30) | Moderated by Jorge Moreira da Costa
This session will address the views of Higher Education Institutions (HEI) and several profiles of Companies that operate in the construction sector. The main goal is to try to pinpoint more efficient strategies from both parts, so that our Civil Engineering PhD’s may find wider perspectives of follow-up professional work and companies may look at the hiring of 3rd degree graduates as a true asset. For this purpose, we will have the possibility of hearing and exchange views with representatives of several acting organisations in our industry:
- António Carlos Rodrigues: CEO of Casais SA;
- António Matos de Almeida: former Board of OERN and former Director of Mota-Engil SA;
- Jorge Bastos: Director of Just Stay Hotels SA;
- Rui Furtado: CEO of AFAConsult.
In this session a set of starting key-questions will be launched that, we hope, will foster the discussions between the panel and the audience. Among those we will debate:
- What really is “Innovation” in the several contexts of the Construction Industry (CI)?
- Is Innovation in the CI perceived and rewarded by its Clients? Are CI companies motivated to pursue it in their organisations?
- How have the Portuguese HEIs contributed in fulfilling the needs of CI’s companies? The increased knowledge and competences of our PhD’s are aligned with the strategies of the companies or not?
- What changes should be implemented in both sides of the border to make HIE’s and CI Companies’ cooperation more efficient and with better results?
Workshops & Alumni Sessions
The present symposium will also include workshops and alumni sessions to be announced soon in the general congress webpage of DCE17.
There will be social activity between 18h to 20h in the 1st day. Details will be announced soon in the general program of DCE17.
- Jorge Moreira da Costa (FEUP – Department of Civil Engineering)
- Cláudio Horas (FEUP – Department of Civil Engineering)
- Tiago Fazeres-Ferradosa (FEUP – Department of Civil Engineering)
- Aires Colaço (FEUP – Department of Civil Engineering)
- Vanessa Ramos (FEUP – Department of Environmental Engineering)
- Jorge Moreira da Costa (DEC – SCC)
- Maria Helena Corvacho (DEC – SCC)
- Nuno Ramos (DEC – SCC)
- João Poças Martins (DEC – SCC)
- Rui Calçada (DEC – SE)
- Rui Faria (DEC – SE)
- Humberto Varum (DEC – SE)
- Cláudio Horas (DEC – SE)
- António Topa Gomes (DEC – SG)
- Manuel Matos Fernandes (DEC – SG)
- José Couto Marques (DEC – SG)
- Francisco Taveira Pinto (DEC – SHRHA)
- Tiago Fazeres-Ferradosa (DEC – SHRHA)
- Paulo Rosa Santos (DEC – SHRHA)
- Elsa Carvalho (DEC – SHRHA)
- Fernanda Sousa (DEC – SMF)
- Paula Milheiro (DEC – SMF)
- Isabel Ribeiro (DEC – SMF)
- Álvaro Cunha (DEC – SM)
- Maria de Lurdes Lopes (DEC – SM)
- Afonso Serra Neves (DEC – SM)
- Fernando Brandão Alves (DEC – SPTA)
- Isabel Breda Vazquez (DEC – SPTA)
- Sara Cruz (DEC – SPTA)
- António Fidalgo do Couto (DEC – SVC)
- Sara Ferreira (DEC – SVC)
- José Pedro Tavares (DEC – SVC)
- Aires Colaço (DEC-SE)
- Vanessa Martins Ramos (DEC – SHRHA)