The Laboratory of Planning - LP was created in 1994. It is part of the Civil Engineering Department of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto, associated with the Spatial Planning and Environment Division.
The activity of the Laboratory is structured around three essential approaches:
- Support for basic and applied research;
- Technical and scientific advice;
- Teaching support for graduate and postgraduate training programs and the dissemination of knowledge.
The Planning Laboratory has been giving support to the following disciplines:
- Integrated Master in Civil Engineering - Environmental Impact Analysis, Urban Environment and Transportation, as well as all the disciplines of the Planning option of the 5th year;
- Masters Course in Planning and Design of the Urban Environment - Planning Seminar.
ArcView is the main support software in these disciplines.
Cooperation with national and international institutions and participation in projects has been indispensable for the consolidation and development of the LP.
External services represent a significant part of the activities developed by the LP.
Some of the entities with which protocols and/or contracts have already been or are expected to be developed are:
- CCRN - Northern Regional Coordination Commission
- FCT - Foundation for Science and Technology
- FLAD - Luso-American Development Foundation
- PRODEP - Ministry of Education and Higher Education
- TAP – National Flag Carrier Airline
- EU - European Union (COST Action