| José Luís Cabral de Moura Borges
- Email: jlborges @ fe . up .
pt (without spaces)
- Phone: +351 225 081 736
- voip: +351 220 413 429
I am an associate professor at FEUP in the University of Porto. I have a graduation in Mechanical Engineering (1990) and a M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (1994) from FEUP. Also, I received a Ph.D. (2000) in Computer Science from UCL at the University of London.
My research interest are mainly Data Analysis, Data Mining, Web Usage Mining, Information Systems and Information Visualization.
I keep a page with links for some of my visualization projects.
Modelação de Dados em UML, 2015. FCA - editora de informática
- Eduardo Oliveira (co-supervising with Vera Miguéis) (PRODEIG) - Overlap in Automatic Root Cause Analysis in Manufacturing - defended in December 2021
- Thiago Sobral (co-supervised with Teresa Galvão) (PDST-MIT) - Semantic Integration of Urban Mobility Data through Ontologies for supporting Data Visualization - defended in February 2019
- Pierre Polzin (co-supervised with António Coelho) (PRODEIG)
- Integration of the assessments of access to healh care and of competition between providers into a new method to identify target geographic markets - defended in June
- António Corte-Real (PRODEIG)
- Analyzing the influence of the Douro Valley weather on the quality and yield of vintage port - defended in March 2015
- Fabrício Seperândio (co-supervised with Bernardo Almada-Lobo) (PRODEIG) - Operating Room Scheduling via Simulation Optimization - defended in February 2015
Publications in International Journals
- E. e oliveira,V.L. Miguéis, J.L. Borges On the influence of overlap in automatic root cause analysis in manufacturing. International Journal of Production Research, Published online: 29 Oct 2021.
- T. Sobral, T. Galvão, J. Borges Knowledge-Assisted Visualization of Multi-Level Origin-Destination Flows Using Ontologies. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 2168-2177, April 2021
- T. Sobral, T. Galvão, J. Borges An Ontology-based approach to Knowledge-assisted Integration and Visualization of Urban Mobility Data. Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 150, 15 July 2020
- J. Borges. A contextual family tree visualization design. Information Visualization, 2019
- T. Sobral, T. Galvão, J. Borges. Visualization of Urban Mobility Data from Intelligent Transportation Systems. Sensors. 19(2):332. 2019
- A. C. Real, C. B. Oliveira, J. Borges. Utilização do sucesso acadêmico para prever o abandono escolar de estudantes do ensino superior: um caso de estudo. Educação e Pesquisa, v. 44, e180590. Epub 2018.
- A. C. Real, J. Borges, C. B. Oliveira. Estimation of daily mean temperatures: an accurate method for the Douro Valley. Ciência Técnica Vitivinícola, 33:2, pp 167-176, 2018
- J.A. Antoncic, B. Antoncic, M. Gantar, R.D. Hisrich, L.J. Marks, A.A. Bachkirov, Zhaoyang Li, P. Polzin, J.L. Borges, A. Coelho, M.-L. Kakkonen. Risk-taking propensity and entrepreneurship: the role of power distance. Journal of Enterprising Culture, Vol. 26, N. 1, pp. 1-26. 2018
- T. Galvão, J. Borges. A new algorithm to create balanced teams promoting more diversity. European Journal of Engineering Education. 14(6), pp 1365-1377, 2017.
- V.L. Miguéis, A.S. Camanho, J.L. Borges. Predicting direct marketing response in banking: comparison of class imbalance methods. Service Business, 11(4), pp 831-849, 2017
- A.C. Real, J. Borges, J.S. Cabral, G.V. Jones. A Climatology of Vintage Port Quality. To appear in International Journal of Climatology. International Journal of Climatology, 37 (10), pp 3798-3809, 2017.
- P. Polzin, J. Borges, A. Coelho. A decision support method to identify target geographic markets for health care providers. Papers in Regional Science. Wiley-Blackwell, 95(4), pp. 843-863, 2016
- A.C. Real, J. Borges, J.S. Cabral, G.V. Jones. Partitioning the grapevine growing season in the douro region: Accumulated heat better than calendar. International Journal of Biometeorology, 59 (8), pp. 1045-1059, 2015
- S. Shirgave, P. Kulkarni, J. Borges. Semantically enriched variable length markov chain model for analysis of user web navigation sessions. International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 13 (4), pp. 721-753, 2014
- P. Polzin, J. Borges, A. Coelho. An extended kernel density two-step floating catchment area method to analyze access to health care. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 41 (4), pp. 717-735, 2014
- F. Sperandio, C. Gomes, J. Borges, A.C. Brito, B. Almada-Lobo. An intelligent decision support system for the operating theater: A case study. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 11(1), pp. 265-273, 2014
- P. Polzin, J. Borges, A. Coelho. Validating the ekd4sfca method using data of the long-term care sector. Advances in Business-Related Scientific Research Journal, 5 (2), pp. 135-152, 2014
- S. Shirgave, P. Kulkarni, J. Borges. Semantically enriched web usage mining for personalization.International Journal of Computer, Information, Systems and Control Engineering, 8 (1), pp. 239-247, 2014
- S. Shirgave, P. Kulkarni and J. Borges. Semantic Usage Navigation Patterns for Predicting Users' Navigation Requests. CSI Journal of Computing, 2 (3), pp. 34-43, 2013
- L. Certo, T.G. Dias, J. Borges. Time automaton: A visual mechanism for temporal querying. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, 24 (1), pp. 24-36, 2013
- J. Borges, A.C. Real, J.S. Cabral, G.V. Jones. Condorcet versus borda, a response to: Comment on: a new method to obtain a consensus ranking of a regions vintages quality. Journal of Wine Economics, 7 (2), pp. 245-248, 2012
- J. Borges, A.C. Real, J.S. Cabral, G.V. Jones. A new method to obtain a consensus ranking of a regions vintages quality. Journal of Wine Economics, 7 (1), pp. 88-107, 2012
- J. Borges, M. Levene. A comparison of scoring metrics for predicting the next navigation step with markov model-based systems. International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 09 (04), pp. 547-573, 2010
- J. Borges, T.G. Dias, J.F. Cunha. A new group-formation method for student projects. European Journal of Engineering Education, 34 (6), pp. 573-585, 2009
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Evaluating variable-length markov chain models for analysis of user web navigation sessions. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 19 (4), pp. 441-452, 2007
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Testing the predictive power of variable history web usage. Soft Computing, 11 (8), pp. 717-727, 2007
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Ranking pages by topology and popularity within web sites. World Wide Web, 9 (3), pp. 301-316, 2006
- J. Borges, M. Levene. An average linear time algorithm for web usage mining. International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 03 (02), pp. 307-319, 2004
- M. Levene, J. Borges, G. Loizou. Zipf's law for web surfers. Knowledge and Information Systems, 3 (1), pp. 120-129, 2001
- J. Borges, M. Levene. A fine grained heuristic to capture web navigation patterns. SIGKDD Explorations, 2(1), pp. 40-50, 2000
- T. Sobral, T.Galvão, J. Borges. Semantic Integration of Urban Mobility Data for Supporting Visualization. Transportation Research Procedia, 3rd Conference on Sustainable Urban Mobility (CSUM 2016), Volos, Greece. Vol 24., pp. 180-188, 2017
- M.C. Ferreira, T. Fontes, V. Costa, T.G. Dias, J.L. Borges, J.F. Cunha. Evaluation of an integrated mobile payment route planner, and social network solution for public transport. Transportation Research Procedia, 3rd Conference on Sustainable Urban Mobility (CSUM 2016), Volos, Greece. Vol 24., pp. 189-196, 2017
- P.M. Costa, T. Fontes, A.A. Nunes, M.C. Ferreira, V. Costa, T.G. Dias, J.L. Borges, J.F. e Cunha. Application of collaborative information exchange in urban public transport: the Seamless Mobility solution. Transportation Research Procedia, 6th European Transport Research Conference (TRA 2016), Warsaw, Poland. Vol 14, pp. 1201-1210, 2016
- T. Sobral, T.G. Dias, J.L. Borges. Towards a conceptual framework for classifying visualisations of data from urban mobility services. In H. Nóvoa & M. Drăgoicea (Eds.), Exploring services science. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing Vol. 201, pp. 228-242, Springer International Publishing, 2015
- C. Gomes, F. Sperandio, A. Peles, J. Borges, A.C. Brito, B. Almada-Lobo. An Operating Theater Planning Decision Support System. In Information Systems and Technologies for Enhancing Health and Social Care, R. Martinho, R. Rijo, M. M. Cruz-Cunha, J. Varajo (Eds.), pp. 69-86, Hershey: IGI Global, 2013
- C. Gomes, B. Almada-Lobo, J. Borges, C. Soares. Integrating data mining and optimization techniques on surgery scheduling. In S. Zhou, S. Zhang, G. Karypis (Eds.), Advanced data mining and applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 7713, pp. 589-602. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012
- C. Gomes, F. Sperandio, J. Borges, B. Almada-Lobo, A.C. Brito. A decision support system for surgery theatre scheduling problems. In M. Cruz-Cunha, J. Varajo, P. Powell, R. Martinho (Eds.), Enterprise information systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 221, pp. 213-222. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Variable Length Markov Chains for Web Usage Mining. Encyclopedia of data warehousing and mining. In J. Wang (Ed.), (Second Edition) pp. 2031-2035, Hershey: IGI Global, 2009
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Mining users' web navigation patterns and predicting their next step. In B. S. Cecilia S. Gal Paul B. Kantor (Ed.), Security informatics and terrorism: Patrolling the web, Vol. 15, pp. 45-55, IOS Press, 2008
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Generating dynamic higher-order markov models in web usage mining. In A. M. Jorge, L. Torgo, P. Brazdil, R. Camacho, J. Gama (Eds.), Knowledge discovery in databases: Pkdd 2005. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 3721, pp. 34-45, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2005.
- J. Borges, M. Levene. Data mining of user navigation patterns. In Revised papers from the international workshop on web usage analysis and user profiling. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1836, pp. 92-111, Springer-Verlag, 2000.
- J. Borges, M. Levene. A heuristic to capture longer user web navigation patterns. In K. Bauknecht, S. Madria, G. Pernul (Eds.), Electronic commerce and web technologies, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1875, pp. 155-164, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2000.