Applicants must fulfil one of the requisites below:
- Holders of a Master or a second cycle diploma in Engineering Physics, Engineering, Applied Physics or Physics;
- Holders of a diploma from a certified Higher Education entity, obtained either in a Portuguese or foreign institution, recognized as adequate by the program Scientific Committee;
- Have a professional or scientific curriculum recognized as relevant and adequate by the program Scientific Committee;
Applicants with published research of the level required for PhD can apply directly for a PhD evaluation. Special conditions apply.
Important dates (2016/2017)
|1st Phase||2nd Phase||3rd Phase|
|Classes start:||15th September||15th February|
|Submissions of applications:||24th February to 30th April||1st May to 8th August||18th October to 6th December|
|Results published:||20th May||th September||3rd January|
|Registration:||20th to 27th June||27th to 30th September||26th to 31st January|
Note: Intent of application is possible at any time by sending email to email@example.com
The ranking criteria for applicants are:
- Academic curriculum and/or professional experience: 70%;
- Motivation and readiness for the completion of a doctoral program with the specific characteristics that this presents: 30%;
The ranking is performed by the Scientific Committee considering the following elements:
- Curriculum vitae, as regards the criterion relating to the academic curriculum and professional experience;
- Covering letter and any letters of recommendation, with respect to motivation and flair, complemented by a possible interview if deemed necessary.
The doctoral programme tuition fees are 3.000€/yr.
Funding opportunities are available via Erasmus Mundus mobility grants for foreign students, National Science Foundation PhD grants, National Science Foundation Doctoral Programme grants, European Doctoral Programme grants and ongoing research project grants.
The doctoral programme is a consortium member of the IDPASC doctoral network. Funding for thesis in the PASC areas (Particle Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology) is available.
Interested applicants should contact the doctoral programme for further information, or faculty in the research areas of their interest.
Of interest is the Porto University International Student Portal.